Last updated on September 19th, 2017
The Advanced eCig Innovation – Temperature Control (TC)
DIRECTVAPOR Will Take You to the Next Level of Vaping.
Just when I was getting used to my latest and greatest high powered advanced MOD with 50Watts and sub-ohm capabilities, I discover TC MODS, or those equipped with temperature control features.
FYI, TC has nothing to do with your variable high powered MOD’s automatic shut-off feature; the one that kicks in should you violate ohm’s law by setting your wattage too high for your low ohm atomizer. TC is far better.
Enter Temperature Control Vaping
So…cool new discount ecig vendor DirectVapor sends me an iStick 40W TC by eLeaf to review. After getting the preliminary email asking whether I had previously tested a high powered, advanced TC MOD, I unabashedly admitted I had not. I wasn’t even aware that these MODs, geared to more efficient low and sub ohm vaping existed. I guess it proves even a veteran ecig reviewer can lag behind in the world of high-speed electronic cigarette innovation.
TC MODS are a relatively new beast. They were first sold at high prices and were not heavily promoted. An admirable excuse for my lack of knowledge.
Undaunted by my initial fear of venturing deep into sub-ohm cloudchaser territory, I was eager to try one out; certainly hoping that this iStick would be more reliable and user friendly than my previous model that was not purchased from DirectVapor. I not disappointed.
The Best Features of TC – Temperature Control MOD Vaporizers
1- Protection Against Overheating
- The MOD senses a change in coil resistance as it is heated. If the coil gets too hot, or if your ejuice level gets too low, the device will adjust the power or stop firing, thus preventing your wicks from drying out and burning. That means no burnt hits and no higher level of carbonyls in your vapor.
- The Automatic Shutoff, Low Voltage Protection and Over-Discharge Protection is just as effective as your high watt vaporizer’s safety features.
- Temperature Control may also prevent quick Battery Burnout. I definitely noticed an improvement in battery life, but your own experience will depend on your vaping routine.
2- Most TC MODS (including the iStick 40W TC MOD by eLeaf) have Variable Voltage as well as Wattage Settings
- You can toggle between setting watts or setting temperature leaving plenty of room to experiment in finding your vaping sweet spot. Just make sure you are using the correct atomizer for the respective setting. (see below)*
3- You Can Also Forget Using Standard Coils Made from Kanthal or Ni-Chrome
- One of the key features (and must haves) with TC vaping is that they require either Ni-200 Nickel Coil or TI Pure Titanium wire atomizer coils. These advanced coils typically have many more wraps.
What About the Tank?
- If you don’t buy a complete TC kit, you’ll need a new tank that’s compatible with a TC atomizer. They’re easy to come by.
ELeaf’s own tank is the GS-Tank with ni200 coil heads, but you can also opt for the Tesla Vortek TC Sub Tank, the Artic tank from Horizon, or many others, reasonably priced on discount sites, including DirectVapor.
Regarding the Safe Use of TC Devices
- Vapers should have a basic understanding of battery safety basics.
- Always read the user manual that comes with your TC MOD.
- All temperature control (and high powered vaporizers) come with WARNINGS.
- Advanced vapor products must be used “at your own risk”.
- Despite innovations that make your advanced device easier to use and your vape more satisfying, you must take proper precautions and handling.
- If you are building a coil you should know how to measure resistances.
- Are you using a TC tank, you also need to know if you’re allergic to nickel wire.
- If you are using a Sub-Ohm coil (under 1 ohm) begin by setting your Wattage at about 18 and adjust up to about 20Watts. You can cause dry hits and burn wicks by cranking your mod up too high for the coil to handle.
NOTE!! Nickel can cause a rash in sensitive individuals. It’s commonly found in many items we have contact with daily, including costume jewelry, earring posts, watchbands, eyeglass frames, hairpins, snaps, buttons, and zippers.
TC Vaping in a Nutshell
You get very “cool”, low-ohm and sub-ohm vaping. Forget getting a burnt taste when your e-liquid runs down; forget having to keep changing your overheated coils or inhaling burnt wick vapor.. and expect a better battery life.
Cost of a TC MOD
For vapers ready to experience TC vaping, the complete iStick TC starter kit is $59.95 through Direct Vapor. Of course, prices can change in an instant and there are always those holiday sales.
If you’re a TC fan, or you’re not..please share your experiences by commenting on this post.
Sincere thanks also to DV for providing the iStick 40W TC for this review.