Last updated on February 21st, 2019
The Benefits and Side Effects of PG and VG E-Liquids
Have you been confused about how the two base ingredients in e-cigarette e-liquids – Propylene Glycol (PG) and Vegetable Glycerine (VG) affect your vaping experience? You’re not alone!
With so many e-liquid companies that offer vapers the option to choose a variety of PG/VG ratios, it’s difficult to know why it’s even important.
This handy infographic shows the pros and cons of each. For example, PG is most important for delivering the fullest flavor. Because it’s has low viscosity, it’s thinner than VG and is less likely to “gunk” up your atomizer with e-juice resins. That said, some atomizer coils deliver the best flavor when you use high VG e-juice!
How Do You Determine the Best PG /VG Ratio for Your Optimum Vaping Experience?
Why You Might Choose a Higher PG Content –
- You vape an ultra-portable, refillable Pod Vape. Some devices recommend a 50/50 or higher PG e-liquids.
- Your vaporizer uses a poly wick top coil (like the Triton Tank System), or higher resistance bottom coil (over 1.8 ohms).
- You prefer a more intense flavor over massive cloud production.
- You like a stronger “throat hit” without having to up your nicotine level.
- You don’t like changing your coils too often. (higher VG eliquid shortens the life of your atomizer coil).
- You don’t have a negative reaction to PG which can sometimes cause dry mouth, throat irritation or rash (which is rare).
Why You Might Choose a Higher VG Content –
- You prefer using a low resistance, or sub-ohm coil with an advanced vaporizer.
- You find PG eliquids irritate your throat or dry out your mouth.
- PG gives you an allergic reaction.
- You want greater cloud production and a cooler vape without having to use a more complicated adjustable wattage vaporizer.
- You don’t mind the thickness of the e-liquid or having to replace your coils more often.
Most e-liquids are still formulated with a 50/50 PV to VG ratio. This was the preferred vaping standard before low and sub-ohm vaping became popular.
Today You Can Buy Custom Levels of PG and VG in you E-Liquid
The best vape companies keep up with industry trends and customer requests including ingredient preferences. You’ll find that most e-juice companies only offer up to 80% VG. But a few do offer 100% Vegetable Glycerin e-liquids.
Vaporfi is in my opinion the best place to shop for e-liquids. They not only offer over 30,000 delicious flavor combinations to suite your taste, you can choose from several PG to VG blends, including 50/50, 70/30 and Mac VG for subohm vaping.
Kai’s Virgin Vapor and KIND Juice are two great totally organic e-juice companies that offer 100% VG e-liquids. They’re a bit more expensive, but of you’re sensitive to PG, there’s none in any of their flavors.
Check out our Review of Kind Juice.
Many e-liquid companies will let you select your preferred ratio of PG to VG. Popular Mt. Baker Vapor offers a MAX VG blend where the VG is more than 70% of the ratio. Since high VG can be less flavor intense, Mt. Baker Vapor lets you add ‘flavor shots” to your eliquid flavors. If you visit their website, just make sure you refine your search by selecting “MBY E Juice Flavoring”.
The ecig industry is evolving, not only with new innovative hardware, but with greater selections of e-liquid flavors, nicotine levels and now custom PG to VG ratios.
You May Also Like: